STEP BY STEP PRACTICALS - VMWARE
Please make sure to perform the below prerequisites.
1) Download the required patch from the VMware portal which is required to be installed.
2) Login credentials for the ESXi should be working.
3) SSH for the ESXi host should be enabled.
1) Upload the zip file on the data-store (local or shared) which must be accessible with the ESXi which is required to be patched.
2) Put the required host into maintenance mode.
3) Connect to the ESXi via root account and go to the path:- /vmfs/volumes/
4) In the volumes folder, type the ls command (List all files in Linux). It would also show the name of the data-store on which you have the zip file uploaded along with the other data-stores.
5) Now go to that data-store by running the command:-
cd <Name of the data-store>
6) Make sure that you have the zip file present on the required path. You can type in the command ls to list all the files in the directory.
7) Now to patch the host, run the below command:
esxcli software vib update -d /vmfs/volumes/<Name of the data-store in which the zip file is present>/<Name of the zip file>.zip
Note:- The patch would have the extension as zip. This command should be run when we are upgrading a host of the same version. For example upgrading from ESXi 6.5 U2 to ESXi 6.5 U3.
8) Once the patch is installed, reboot the host from the VC.
9) Once the host comes back online, check the summary tab for the new ESXI version.